suggested modifications to netiquette/rules

Hello players and staff

After watching arguments in general chat between former mods and players,flamers as well as trolls. It seems that a small change in the warding and phrases in the netiquette/rules would be helpful  to all.

listed below are the current netiquette/rules for En1 chats

"2. Use of the correct chat rooms

General chat

The General chat is where you can talk about everything under the sun. Please note that some discussions are unacceptable due to the subject matter. This includes political discussions and vulgar content.

Help chat

Questions about the game belong exclusively in the Help chat. You can use the forum as an alternative. If you experience technical issues, please contact in-game support.

Search chat

Raw materials trading is limited exclusively to the Search chat. The Search chat is also where you can look for members to join your association. Please note that each association may only post one search per hour (60 minutes), irrespective of which member posted the search.

Chat language is English."

Following list has the proposed changes ,high lighted in Red

2. Use of the correct chat rooms

General chat

In General chat you can chat about all sorts of topics.  Please note that some discussions are unacceptable due to the subject matter. This includes political discussions and vulgar content.

Help chat

Questions about the game belong exclusively in the Help chat. You can use the forum as an alternative. If you experience technical issues, please contact in-game support.

Search chat

Raw materials trading is limited exclusively to the Search chat. The Search chat is also exclusively where you can look for members to join your association. Please note that each association may only post one search per hour (60 minutes), irrespective of which member posted the search

These may not seem like significant changes but the impact to clarify and define chat room uses would lower engagements between mods ,players and Trolls

Sincerely

Mr.Yumfy

I think the word Netiquette should be dropped altogether. The word Netiquette has been used for many years and is guidance as in an etiquette for using the net.
This causes some people to think it is guidance and doesn't have to be adhered to.

The way I see it is that this should be called something that defines it as Rules that MUST be obeyed. The "document" should be drawn to ALL players attention especially new players.

There are a number of "problem areas".

1. Brand new players that have no real intention to play the game and merely want to troll the chats and abuse other players. It is easy enough to identify this sort of "miscreant" by clicking their username and checking their level.

2. Players that are obviously playing while under the influence of alcohol or even drugs

3. Players using the chat like a smutty chat room. everyone forgets that their are youngsters playing the game.

4. Players that have been disgruntled at the decisions of the former mod(s) and the fact that there is no reasonable means to address a wrong. I suppose I fit in there but can't discuss it without breaking rules.

There are a lot of players that don't even bother looking into General chat because of the childish drivel on there at times. People poking each other with virtual sticks and shoving those sticks where they shouldn't go. 

There IS a need for somewhere where the game and it's strategies can be discussed.

Why not have a General chat and a new game (only) discussion.

Just my thoughts (penn'orth)

Thanks @Hubris My point on the new players signing up to troll was eloquently made by a Level 2 player that entered chat and proclaimed "All n****** should be hung" With a name like "Ladyfaggot" it sticks out like a sore thumb.All chat needs to be removed from that account or at least echo what they send back to their own chat window but it doesn't appear in the real chat. They think no one is biting and soon get bored.

6 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Thanks @Hubris My point on the new players signing up to troll was eloquently made by a Level 2 player that entered chat and proclaimed "All n****** should be hung" With a name like "Ladyfaggot" it sticks out like a sore thumb.All chat needs to be removed from that account or at least echo what they send back to their own chat window but it doesn't appear in the real chat. They think no one is biting and soon get bored.

Greetings fellow fishing persons:

I would like to address this issue from a players point of  view

These types of accounts have always came in chats in all games world wide , here in big bait we the players need to moderate our-selves 1st and others second , now having.said that.

The actions that could be taken by us the players when a account such as the one @Wanderer and @hubris  observed and mentioned in post are and not limited to but include

1. Ignore the account

2. Do screen shots of the chat and send them off to support.

3. Notify a mod . ( yes i know not at this time, but am very sure this will be an option in the immediate future)

4. Post a request for staff to visit the chat via shout box

5. Bring it to the attention of the staff via forum post.

There is no real cure for this problem but only attempting to limit it by the above player actions as well as getting behind our mods and supporting them

Fish on Dudes

Mr.yumfy.

Totally agree with the above. Would add that having played in other games with Mods - they never got directly involved in any arguments or discussions but they were shown in red as being in the chat area. If anyone got out of hand the Mods dealt with it by pm and/or instant blocking of that person from chat for a time that fit the crime. I would propose more power to the Mods, and strong support from us reasonable players, when they are chosen. Even the Search chat needs moderating cos some companies ignore the rule of advertising once per hour and re-advertise as soon as they disappear from the chat screen.

I agree. As far as I saw one person reacted to say it was unacceptable and on tried to justify their right to say. It quickly died off.

@mr.yumfy You are absolutely right. They tend to be when schools are off and scriptkiddies (as they are often described) and soon go away when ignored.
I think what I have seen in the chat the older (time served) members react as they should but there are people that want to troll the troll and end up causing things to get out of hand.
It would be really nice if the chat could be self regulating with peer pressure and/or kid gloves from moderators. Your idea for a rewrite of the rules is a good direction to go. Then BigKat has to back it up.

I have played a lot of games and none of this is new. I've also moderated/admin on business and social fora. Laying down the rules in a concise and clear manner and then issuing a warning (not a threat) when the rules are being pushed allowing a time to account for lag or the "troll" (for want of a better word because it isn't all trolling) to have seen the warning. Then take action. Asking people if they are looking for a ban is totally out of order. I think we all agree that the moderators should have English as their first language and understand what is banter and what is personal attacks.

I will add that this forum should be promoted and also it has more interaction by admin/moderators. My own experience is that questions asked in here and answered will reduce tickets requesting help and when someone gives bad information it can be clarified.

I once saw a user ask in chat about extra mods to ships and got told that for 10 gold they could receive another batch of 38 updates on top of the normal 38. I saw it some hours after it had been said and it would be too time consuming to try to put it right without naming the person and it appearing to be an attack on that person. Hey ho! Let's hope we can get it all working nicely. For a game that requires communications between players I find it very difficult to do that due to the chat limitations.